Why is Transmission so dominant on Linux.

cdysthe

Why is Transmission so dominant on Linux.

Post by cdysthe »

Hi,

I have been playing around with BT clients on Linux and it's obvious to me Deluge is the best one. It's faster than any other I have tried. It messes up large downloads far less and it runs rock solid on my systems. I have been running it on Windows as well, and even there it's up there with utorrent.

How come Transmission seems so dominant on several Linux distro's and is default on Ubuntu? Transmission is simple and elegant, but it isn't very fast and is not consistent when it comes to large downloads.

Ideas anyone?

//C
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Why is Transmission so dominant on Linux.

Post by johnnyg »

I think you'll find it's dominant because it's the default client on ubuntu.
And it's the default client because like you said it's "simple and elegant" (you can read more about it here: http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtop ... f=8&t=1735).
theslut

Post by theslut »

I'll give an honest reply - I've been using Ubuntu for years now and several years ago I was looking for a good GUI client. I've been back and forth to multiple clients and each time I found the clients unsatisfactory. I found deluge and thought it had great potential but really buggy. I came back to Deluge when the new version was in progress but found that it was worse.

Today I decided to see where the client was at and it looks and feels really good and now some plugins have been developed for it I might be back for good.

I was using Transmission because it just worked with no faults and no hassle. I don't have the control I really wanted over it but I found that its stability was worth it to keep using it.

In the past I thought Deluge should have been the default Ubuntu client but I no longer support this view. Now with Deluge stable and quite bug free my opinion might change.

I think the Ubuntu philosophy of using simple programs as the defaults is a good one. It means that the applications they provide have usability and stability as one. If the user decides the he/she wants more features then they are free to look onwards to more complicated programs. But with complexity we always end up increasing the potential for bugs and faults.

Oh yeah, on a site note, Transmission works fine until you start using a lot of torrents. Then it shows that it's GUI is not really up to the task of handling a lot of torrents without the GUI starting to hang for long periods.
noian

Post by noian »

The problem with Deluge vs Transmissing has been on one hand stability, and on the other footprint size. I think if Deluge were to make a "lite" version similar to Transmission (although with Deluge's better UI), that has a good change of becoming the new default.