Commandline only?

Paaskehare

Commandline only?

Post by Paaskehare »

Hi, I have a headless debian 5.0 server running, and I don't want a graphical interface on it. So my question is, is it possible to install and run deluge as commandline only? I need it only to create torrent files with as rTorrent does not support this feature.

I have tried using CreateTorrent to create torrents with commandline, it 'works' but the torrent files get massive, and I am unable to upload them to any trackers.
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Commandline only?

Post by johnnyg »

the deluge daemon doesn't require X.
see here on how to start it: http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Faq# ... tthedaemon
However you may be interested in setting up deluge as a thin client: http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/UserGuide/ThinClient
Paaskehare

Post by Paaskehare »

I got the daemon running, with the webui too, but I can't seem to get the thin client running, I build the latest version of deluge (1.1.8) from source, but when I try to run in console mode:

deluge --ui null

Nothing happens, however if I type:

deluge --ui webui

The webui starts, but I have no use in that, the webui doesn't support the creation of torrents, and that was kinda why I wanted deluge in the first place :)

Your help "so far" has been very much appreciated, and I hope you can tell me how to create a torrent either with the daemon, or just in plain console mode ..

EDIT
I just got it running in console mode, the README told me that I ran it with deluge --ui null however deluge --ui console was the right syntax, I finally got it opened, but the commandline does NOT support the creation of torrents as far as I can see, only functions here are:

* add Add a torrent
* config Show and set configuration values
* connect Connect to a new deluge server.
* debug Enable and disable debugging
* del Remove a torrent
* exit Exit from the client.
* halt Shutdown the deluge server.
* help displays help on other commands
* info Show information about the torrents
* pause Pause a torrent
* quit Exit from the client.
* resume Resume a torrent
* rm Remove a torrent

Are there any known alternatives, besides CreateTorrent?
stormcloud51090

Post by stormcloud51090 »

You should use mktorrent - if it still gives you large torrent files, play with the -l (piece length) switch, as increasing this means there are fewer hashes stored in the torrent file