Deluge on OLPC XO (Sugar)

michiseedr
New User
New User

Deluge on OLPC XO (Sugar)

Post by michiseedr »

hi there everybody

i just wanted to say thank you to the deluge crew AND show you another use of deluge in case you haven't heard of that yet: about 1 year ago i purchased an OLPC XO. The OLPC is the so called "One Laptop Per Child" initiative supported by the United Nations. I bought one machine and donated one. I know it's not exactly what the OLPC is meant for, but in MY case, the best use for the OLPC was turning it into a seed/leech machine. The operating system installed on the OLPC is of no big use unless you are a child. I had XFCE on it but it was still to hardaware-consuming (if you're interested in the OLPC's hardware specs, check this out: http://www.laptop.org).

Anyway, after a couple of month without use for it, I searched the internet for a torrent client that would be running on OLPC's sugar environment or at least run on OLPC kernel. Well, I somehow installed deluge and this blew me off! It's incredibly cool: I control the OLPC, which is online 24/7 over the webinterface. I only touch the OLPC when I need to grab some of the downloads and shove them over to my harddrive. Since all downloads are automatically stored on an attached USB drive, I only disconnect the USB drive and leave the OLPC running. Well, it's awesome and I wanted to say: Thank you.

I'm still running an old webinterface because I'm afraid an updated version won't work as smoothly as it does now.
deluge on my OLPC, the OLPC is living somewhere in my shared appartment..
deluge on my OLPC, the OLPC is living somewhere in my shared appartment..
iPhone 018.jpg (164.2 KiB) Viewed 4860 times
webinterface...with stable URL so i connect from everywhere 24/7...
webinterface...with stable URL so i connect from everywhere 24/7...
iPhone 036.jpg (180.03 KiB) Viewed 4863 times
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OLPC XO, C2 (Release 2008) running Sugar.
loki

Re: Deluge on OLPC XO (Sugar)

Post by loki »

Congrats, and that's an excellent idea to use an "olpc" and hilarious if I do say so myself.
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

Awesome! now the 3rd world can start pirating :P

I would really recommend upgrading to 1.1.5 (or waiting until 1.2) comes out: it's specifically made for running in your setup; you would have deluge running as a daemon (deluged) on the olpc and then be able to connect to it from your laptop using the web ui OR the GTK ui :D
michiseedr
New User
New User

Post by michiseedr »

sounds good...

re 3rd world pirating: yeah, well i'm pretty sure they can afford it even less than i do :)

re installing newest release: i guess i should grab the FEDORA version, right? i'm really no expert on linux, i hardly manage to open deluge from console. but i think the OLPC Sugar OS is somehow based on Fedora so I assume this version of deluge should make have the least issues running on my OLPC...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OLPC XO, C2 (Release 2008) running Sugar.
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

michiseedr wrote:sounds good...

re 3rd world pirating: yeah, well i'm pretty sure they can afford it even less than i do :)

re installing newest release: i guess i should grab the FEDORA version, right? i'm really no expert on linux, i hardly manage to open deluge from console. but i think the OLPC Sugar OS is somehow based on Fedora so I assume this version of deluge should make have the least issues running on my OLPC...
It is based on fedora, so try that first. If that doesn't work you'll have to compile it yourself (provided you can get the dependencies).
I'd also recommend backing up your config files (~/.config/deluge) like that if anything goes wrong with the new version you can downgrade and continue like nothing happened at all.

Let us know how you go :)

P.S. an interesting afterthought: OLPC's have a built in mesh networking allowing them to connect with each other and allowing them to share the internet. This should mean that deluge would be able to share files with these OLPCs without requiring an internet connection :twisted:
lakreqta

Post by lakreqta »

How did U install deluge on OLPC XO